Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Final Artist Critique: Cindy Sherman



The first time I saw Cindy Sherman's work I was in my 20th Century Photography class. I remember being surprised because most photographers prefer to stay behind the camera. I suppose it helps that she is dressed as other people and not herself. In particular I like her series, the Complete Untitled Film Stills. 


 Sherman photographs herself dressed as B-Movie actresses. She sets herself up in different roles and settings, either in her apartment or outside. I like the series because she brings to light a lot of female character cliches. It also reminds me of when I used to play dress up as a little girl.

I have decided to draw from her inspiration and do my own character portrayals for my final project. Except I will be acting out the different phases in my life. I will be portraying my past and present self.  Wish me luck, I am going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment